This multi-phase waterfront redevelopment project near downtown Jersey City establishes a carbon neutral 24/7 live-工作-play community for life 科学 innovations and catalyzes the adjacent institutions and neighborhoods.
The Cove in Jersey City is a multi-phase waterfront redevelopment project situated on an urban site at the terminus of the Morris Canal Basin along the southern edge of downtown Jersey City with direct vehicular and public transit connections to Manhattan. The site is part of the Grand Jersey Redevelopment Plan, 2017年发行, and is comprised of eight parcels located adjacent to existing medical, 科学, 文化设施. 一旦完成, The Cove will create a new nexus for 科学 and innovation in the greater 纽约 City Area.
The Cove creates a fully programmed, 方便人, mixed-use “15-Minute City” that provides the people who live, 工作, and play in the development everything they need within a 15-minute walk. Included in the multi-phase redevelopment are 1.6 million square-feet of residential facilities and 1.4 million square-feet of academic and commercial life 科学 laboratory and office spaces. The development also includes several amenities such as retail, parking, cafes, and parks.
The development is planned around the laboratory buildings, which will serve as the nucleus for the rest of the development, sparking new ideas and fostering collaboration and innovation throughout the site. The Cove’s integrated community blurs the line between laboratory spaces for academic institutions and commercial life 科学 research and development. Throughout the research and development laboratories, the transparency and porosity of the design puts research on display to the broader public, building trust and an engaged community around life 科学s.
The development includes multi- family market rate residential units that include amenities such as gyms lounges, 私人泳池甲板, 和活动室. The units also highlight riverfront and Manhattan views. The residential facilities feature a range of unit styles and incorporates a mixture of high and low-rise buildings.
Incorporating the surrounding natural environment and sustainable design as central design elements, The Cove creates a healthy, 活跃的, and holistic outdoor experience. The design rehabilitates existing green spaces and introduces additional green spaces at varying scales to provide a range of outdoor environments for users. Biophilic design strategies are used to improve the wellness of the development’s users. The integration of plant life, 天然材料, pedestrian friendly access through the site, and ample opportunities for exercise and social engagement all contribute to creating a healthy and productive environment.
Given the waterfront site, the project’s design carefully considers resilience. The entire site is elevated to prevent against flooding and damage from storm surge and sea level rise. 另外, the waterfront edge of the site will be made primarily of a permeable natural barrier of native flora that, in addition to preventing against flooding, will improve local water and air quality. The design will also restore the coastal habitat after hundreds of years of degradation and contamination.
Further contributing to the project’s sustainability is its integration of Aquathermy, which is a wastewater geo-exchange system that will harvest energy from the central wastewater system underneath the site and will completely fulfill heating and cooling energy demands for the development throughout the year.
- Offices, Academic Laboratories, Commercial Laboratories, Residential, Retail, Parking, Gyms, Cafes
彼得·舒伯特, 唐Weinreich, 克里斯·斯托达德, 曼森冯, 凯文Hamlett, 基督教Adamik, 安德斯·埃文森, 马特Hitscherich, 温斯洛Kosior, 马库斯•米勒, 裁皮特森, 伊桑肖
Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates, Inc.
- 希克曼，马特. "Ennead Architects unveils The Cove, a sprawling Jersey City “supercluster”" (The Architect's 新闻paper, 4/20/2021)
- 舒尔茨,黛娜. "Plans revealed for 13-acre tech and medicine hub with 1,500+ apartments in Jersey City" (6sqft, 4/20/2021)
- Bousquin,乔. "Milestone reached for 14-acre Jersey City mixed-use project" (Construction Dive, 4/19/2021)
- "Partners unveil plan for ‘super-cluster’ 科学 community in Jersey City" (Real Estate Weekly, 4/20/2021)
- "A look at the Cove JC — and why developers hope it will become global hub for life 科学" (ROI NJ, 4/21/2021)
- “Argent Ventures, H&R Reit and Ennead Architects Launch The Cove JC, Innovation Community in Jersey City" (New Jersey Stage, 4/19/2021)
- "Super-connected innovation hub announced in New Jersey" (Smart Cities World, 4/20/2021)
- 林德纳,琳达. "The Cove JC: Global hub for life 科学, tech and medicine in Jersey City" (NJ Biz, 4/20/2021)